English courses can be split into English language (looking in detail at the structure of language) and English literature, looking in detail at texts form books, plays and poetry.
It is useful for all jobs as it helps you develop important analysis and written communication skills. Most employers always say they want people with good English skills.
If you enjoy English you could use your creative and analytical skills to work in a huge range of different career areas.
If you are interested in the Arts and like reading, media, the theatre or events, there are lots of opportunities in broadcasting, publishing and arts management.
If you like debating and putting together persuasive arguments you may enjoy law, politics and government or business roles. English combines well with all subjects.
Selection of jobs using the subject English
- Advertising copywriter
- Arts administrator
- Commissioning editor
- Computer games developer
- Copy editor
- Crown prosecutor
- Digital marketer
- Early years teacher
- Marketing executive
- Newspaper journalist
- Radio broadcast assistant
- Sales administrator
- Special educational needs (SEN) teacher
- Speech and language therapist
- TV or film producer
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about English (looks great on your CV too!)
- Exploring English: Language and Culture
- Research Writing: How to Do a Literature Review
- English in Early Childhood: Language Learning and Development
Or view other free online courses related to English
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to English:
- Public Relations Assistant - Level:4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length:12 months
- Broadcast production assistant - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:12 months
- Digital Marketer (degree) - Level:6 (equivalent to bachelor's degree). Typical length:36 months
- Digital marketer - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:18 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to English
Examples of vocational courses at college
- Creative Media [ TV, Film, Web] Production - Level 3 at Bath College
- Sports Journalism - Level 3 at SGS, College
Examples of degree courses that relate to English:
BBC Bitesize Career Videos
You can watch a great series of videos of young people who are working in jobs that use English on the BBC Bitesize website.