Art allows you to develop an extensive range of creative and technical skills and to understand more about artists and art history.
Art enables you to come up with new ideas, work independently on your own projects and build up examples of your work.
You may develop specific expertise or interest in drawing, painting, photography, animation or sculpture.
In many jobs being able to think and plan creatively can be an advantage.
There are many careers that require creative and artistic skills including architecture, fashion design, advertising, media make-up and floristry.
Art and maths are a good combination for design careers such as architecture, car design or engineering.
Selection of jobs using the subject Art
- Advertising art director
- Art gallery curator
- Art therapist
- Fashion designer
- Graphic designer
- Make-up artist
- Museum curator
- Photographic stylist
- Play therapist
- Primary school teacher
- Prop maker
- Set designer
- Textile designer
- TV or film director
- User experience (UX) designer
- Visual merchandiser
- Web content manager
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about art (looks great on your CV too!)
Or view other free online courses in Creative Arts
Examples of apprenticeships which relate to art:
- Community Arts: Community Arts Administration - Level:2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C) Typical length: 12 months
- Community Arts: Community Arts Management - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)Typical length:12 months
- Nail Services - Level:2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)Typical length:12 months
- Design - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)Typical length:12 months
- Cultural Learning and Participation Officer- Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)Typical length:12 months
Use the .Gov website to find more apprenticeship vacancies available now related to art.
Examples of vocational college courses that relate to art
- Game and Animation Production - Level 3 UAL - Weston College
- Animation and Visual Effects - Level 3 - SGS, Bristol
- Art and Design - Level 2 at Bournemouth and Poole College
- Fashion and Textiles - Level 3 at Bath College
Examples of degree courses that relate to art:
BBC Bitesize Career Videos
You can watch a great series of videos of young people who are working in jobs that use art and design on the BBC Bitesize website.