Studying a foreign language can seem like a daunting process, but studying a European or other foreign language will be of great value when it comes to your employability.
Whichever language you choose to study you will be expected to learn the grammar, vocabulary and at A2 level take part in a debate or talk at length about a piece of literature.
Languages are vital if you think you would like to live and work abroad.
Foreign languages are one of the 'facilitating subjects', highly regarded by many universities and helpful in all career areas.
It is particularly useful in international aid, the Armed Forces, the security services, politics, law, business and working as an interpreter or translator.
Selection of jobs using the subject Languages
- Aid worker
- Air traffic controller
- Airline pilot
- British Sign Language interpreter
- Broadcast journalist
- Cabin crew
- Civil Service administrative officer
- English as a foreign language (EFL) teacher
- Events manager
- Hotel manager
- Immigration officer
- Primary school teacher
- Public relations officer
- RAF officer
- Secondary school teacher
- Tour manager
- Tourist guide
- Transport planner
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about languages (looks great on your CV too!)
- Spanish across the Americas: Beginners
- Introduction to Dutch
- Exploring the World of English Language Teaching
Or view other free online courses in Languages
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to languages:marketing
- Marketing Executive - Level:4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length:15 months
- Bid and Proposal Coordinator - Level: 3 (equivalent to A levels grades A to E). Typical length: 24 months
- Policy Officer - Level 4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length: 24 months
- Cyber Security Technologist - Level 4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education). Typical length: 24 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to languages
Examples of degree courses that relate to languages:
BBC Bitesize Career Videos
You can watch a great series of videos on where your favourite subject can take you at BBC Bitesize website.