A product design course allows you to explore materials, processes and health & safety considerations and to improve your awareness of key aspects and issues.
You might analyse the work of famous designers to understand their thought processes, whilst learning model making, computer aided design and manufacturing skills used in industry.
Studying product design would be beneficial for those people who are interested in jobs within the creative, engineering or technology sectors.
As you will learn many skills around design, planning and construction it suits hands on people who like to work practically.
In the future there will be high demand for engineers and trades people with advancing technology changing the way that people work.
Selection of jobs using the subject Product Design
- Aerospace engineer
- Agricultural engineer
- Automotive engineer
- Chemical engineer
- Civil engineer
- Construction contracts manager
- Electrical engineer
- Electronics engineer
- Engineering construction technician
- Furniture designer
- Heating and ventilation engineer
- Interior designer
- Jewellery designer-maker
- Manufacturing systems engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Planning and development surveyor
- Robotics engineer
- User experience (UX) designer
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about DT: Product Design (looks great on your CV too!)
Or view other free online courses related to design and technology
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to DT Product Design:
- Advanced Carpentry and Joinery - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:12 months
- Civil Engineering Technician - Level: 3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:36 months
- Engineering design and draughtsperson - Level: 3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E). Typical length:42 months
- Furniture Manufacturer - Level 2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C). Typical length: 24 months
- Architect Assistant (degree) - Level 6 (equivalent to bachelor's degree). Typical length: 48 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to product design
Examples of degree courses that relate to DT Product Design:
BBC Bitesize Career Videos
You can watch a great series of videos on where your favourite subject can take you at BBC Bitesize website.