Business offers students the opportunity to study different types of businesses in different industries. It looks at why they exist, how they are set up and how they are run.
Everyone works in an organisation which is a business of some sort – so studying business is useful as you develop skills that are found in most jobs.
Business Studies will give you the skills of coming up with business ideas, using maths skills to analyse data, making decisions and developing your communication skills through presentations and reports - all highly transferable skills.
Business Studies can lead into a wide range of careers such as marketing, HR, finance and law.
Studied alongside maths it can open doors into careers related to finance or running your own business.
Selection of jobs using the subject Business Studies
- Bank manager
- Business analyst
- Business development manager
- Business project manager
- Customer services manager
- Digital marketer
- Estate agent
- Financial adviser
- Human resources officer
- Investment analyst
- Management consultant
- Market researcher
- Pensions adviser
- Public relations officer
- Retail buyer
- Retail merchandiser
- Road transport manager
- Sales manager
- Social media manager
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about business (looks great on your CV too!)
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to business studies
- Business Administrator - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E) Typical length:18 months
- Business to Business Sales Professional (degree) - Level:6 (equivalent to bachelor's degree) Typical length:36 months
- IS Business Analyst - Level:4 (equivalent to certificate of higher education)Typical length:18 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to business studies
Watch a short film on Business Studies apprenticeships here.
Example of vocational courses related to Business Studies.
- Business and Event Management - Level 2 - Bridgewater and Taunton College
- Business and Enterprise - Level 3 at Gloucester College
- Business - Level 1, 2, and 3 at Bath College
- T-Level Digital Business Services - This course is suitable for anyone wanting a career in IT, specifically in areas such as IT solutions or data analysis.
- T-Level Accounting
- T-Level Finance
- T-Level Management and Administration
Examples of degree courses that relate to business studies
BBC Bitesize Career Videos
You can watch a great series of videos of young people who are working in jobs that use Business Studies on the BBC Bitesize website.