Biology is known as the science of life, as it covers humans, plants, micro-organisms and the environment.
You will learn about genetics, molecules, taxonomy, natural selection, evolutionary theory, global warming, bacteria and viruses and gain an understanding of how society makes decisions about scientific issues.
Through biology you will have gained a wide range of skills including investigation, analysing information, using data and general scientific skills
It goes well with other sciences such as chemistry, maths, psychology and geography and is considered by many universities as a 'facilitating subject' which can lead on to many future options.
Studying biology can lead to careers in a range of areas including energy and the environment, animals and agriculture and, scientific, pharmaceutical and medical research.
Selection of jobs using the subject Biology
- Biomedical scientist
- Dental nurse
- Environmental consultant
- Food scientist
- Health visitor
- Horticultural manager
- Hospital doctor
- Speech and language therapist
Do a free, short, online course to find out more about biology (looks great on your CV too!)
Or view other free online courses in biology
Examples of apprenticeships that relate to biology
- Science manufacturing technician - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E) Typical length:18 months
- Laboratory technician - Level:3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E) Typical length:18 months
Click to find apprenticeship vacancies available now related to biology
Watch a short film about science apprenticeships here.
Examples of vocational college courses that relate to biology
- Land and Wildlife Management (fish) - Level 3 at Sparsholt College
- Extended Diploma Equine Management - Level 3 at Hartpury College
- Agriculture and Countryside Management courses at Hartpury College
- Horticulture level 2 - Cornwall College
- T-Level Healthcare Science - This course is suitable for anyone interested in a career in health or science.
- T-Level Science - This course is suitable for anyone interested in a career in science.
Examples of degree courses that relate to biology
BBC Bitesize Career Videos
You can watch a great series of videos of young people who are working in jobs that use science on the BBC Bitesize website.