Work or voluntary work route
Choosing to work and learn at 16
This does not mean you have to stay in school until you are 18, you can choose from a range of things:
- Full-time education, such as school or college.
- An apprenticeship.
- Part-time education or training if you are employed or self-employed for 20 hours or more a week.
- Part-time education or training plus volunteering for 20 hours or more a week.
If you do choose the work/voluntary work route, this will involve you working towards a nationally recognised qualification as well as being employed, self-employed or volunteering for 20 hours or more a week.
If this is of interest to you then you need to discuss this option with your teachers, tutors, careers advisers, parents and carers to ensure this route will:
- meet your needs, both now and in the future;
- give you opportunities for future employment;
- ensure you have options for further training later.