General UK facts
- A turnover exceeding £8.6bn
- Adds value to the UK economy by handling 95% of UK trade by weight and 90% by value
- Undertakes 51 million passenger journeys annually
- Employs 196,400 people in 6,700 enterprises
- Measured in terms of the balance of payments contribution to the UK alone, the sector's benefit exceeds that of aerospace.
- Find out more about port freight.
South of England facts
- The Solent's marine and maritime sector is one of our largest and most productive sectors, accounting for 20.5% of Solent's GVA, providing 40,000 jobs locally, and supporting more than 3,000 businesses. Over the period to 2025, the marine and maritime sector in the Solent region is forecast to grow by at least 5%. Source Solent LEP
- Plymouth and Southampton and two of the UK’s top 5 hot spots for maritime jobs.
- The South West is the first region in the country to be designated as a Marine Energy Park and is seeking innovative ways to use the full range of its outstanding natural resources.