- The financial and professional services industry makes a vital contribution to the UK economy. Many of the services it provides - ATMs, bank accounts, credit cards, providing insurance and mortgage lending - are essential to day-to-day life.
- These financial services also support businesses as they market products and services across the globe and maintain a competitive advantage.
- In 2017 there were nearly 1.1 million workforce jobs in the financial and insurance activities industry in the UK, 3.6% of all workforce jobs. (Source: NOMIS 2017)
- Financial services represents a large and important industry within the UK
South of England facts
- 78,000 people work in financial services in the South West. In the South East which includes Oxford, Thames Valley and Solent there are 130,000 working in the financial services sector.
- Banking, finance and insurance are underrepresented in Somerset and other rural areas, but areas like Bristol and Swindon are important centres for finance and insurance and many people commute there.
- Find out detailed information about employment in the West of England 2015 for Professional Services which includes finance.