General UK facts
- Over 2.8 million people are employed in the creative industries - and this number has grown by nearly 14% since 2011 Creative Industries 2015: Focus on Employment
- Over 32% of the people employed work in London, 18% in the South East and 8% in the South West of England and 8% in the North West.
- Over 60% of people employed in the sector have a degree level qualification.
- The creative industries are becoming more important in local economies across the UK. With 47 Creative Clusters across the UK. (Source: NESTA)
- Creative and media has high levels of the workforce working freelance or self employed.
South of England facts
- One in 11 jobs are now in the creative economy as this infographic shows, 8% of these in the South West and 18% are in the South East, which includes Oxford, Thames valley and Solent.
- More television is made in the South West than anywhere else in the country and Bristol has about a quarter of the UK's animation production industry. Aardman (who make Wallace and Gromit) is based there but many other animation and special effects and post-production companies are also spread across the South West.
- Oxfordshire has over 3,000 creative and digital sector businesses, which generate more than £1.4 Billion annually