General UK facts
- If you are imaginative and enjoy Design and Technology, the construction sector gives you lots of chances to use design skills through architecture, engineering, landscape, mechanical, interior and electrical.
- The latest data, released by the ONS shows that the total amount of female construction workers increased to 277,000 in December 2015. When records began in 1978, women made up 11.9% of the sector’s workforce. These latest figures show this has increased to 19.9%. The rate at which female workers were taken on by construction firms was also faster than for men. (Source: CITB/ONS)
- An additional 179,000 jobs in construction will be created by 2021. (Source: CITB)
South of England facts
- The majority of construction companies in the South are small with between 1 and 13 employees.
- More people with traditional skills like stonemasonry, lime plastering, carpentry and thatching are needed to help restore and upgrade existing historic buildings.
- In the South West growth is expected to focus on infrastructure projects over the next few years with the rate of growth in the sector slightly higher than the national average.
- The South East, which includes Oxford, Thames Valley and Solent expects to see employment increase by double the national average.
- Find out detailed information about employment in the West of England 2015 for CONSTRUCTION and see West of England infographics here.