Free, online courses offered by Unis
Fancy trying a FREE online course?
MOOCs are a recent development which aim to use new technologies to bring free, short, learning opportunites to large numbers of people, world-wide. MOOC stands for Massive Open Online Courses.
You do not need qualifications to start the courses. The courses are a chance to try something new, develop an area of interest, etc. Although, the courses might not offer a formal qualification the knowledge gained from doing one could help you prepare for a uni. level course, or help you choose a course, etc.
FutureLearn, offer a diverse selection of free, high quality online courses from some of the world’s leading universities and other outstanding cultural institutions.
They aim is to connect learners from all over the globe with high quality educators, and with each other.
Courses are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop.
Here are a few examples of the Future Learn free courses on offer:
- Introduction to ecosystems
- Introduction to forensic science
- Climate Change: Challenges and Solutions
- Shakespeare’s Hamlet: text, performance, and culture
- Exploring our oceans
Taster courses for school leavers
FutureLearn has launched a set of ‘FutureLearn Choices' courses, which last for three to eight weeks. These are taster courses to give school leavers a real sense of university level study.
Courses to help students secure a place at university:
- How to Succeed at Interviews
- How to Succeed at Writing Applications
- Preparing for Uni
- Developing your Research Project
- How to succeed in your EPQ
Courses to help give students an experience of subjects outside the national curriculum:
Coursera offers 543 courses from 107 partners.
Here are a few examples of the Coursera free courses on offer:
- Introduction to Mathematical Thinking
- Music's Big Bang: How American Roots Music Gave Birth to Rock 'n' Roll
- Introduction to Astronomy
Follow the links to find out more and to sign up for a course.